Thursday, February 11, 2010

Thing 8

I must admit that I was one of the people who wondered, "what the heck is RSS?" Now I know what those orange symbols are that pop up everywhere, even on the Katy ISD staff page! I enjoy how I can have everything come to me, since I am a serial time waster. I added a few feeds from School Library Journal for school use using Google Reader. It still amazes me how many services one login can link me to! I also subscribed to the online newspaper of BGSU, my home for 5 years. I've been checking it often for news of the 100th anniversary so I can plan a trip this fall to meet up with old friends and go to homecoming!

School employees, including librarians, can use RSS and readers to keep abreast of current topics in the education world. Instead of sifting through countless websites trying to find information, we can use the search feature in Google reader to locate news on a desired topic. Not only does this cut down on time, it also brings up relevant information without the distracting ads and site formating.

No comments:

Post a Comment